Tuesday 11 March 2014

Creating a Pattern with Adobe Illustrator

Greetings everybody, once again I have been doing some experimenting with Adobe Illustrator, but this time I have been creating a pattern for my swatch bar. Here is how I accomplished this achievement.

First I had randomly drawn two jelly beans using both the paint brush tool for one of them and the blob brush tool for the other, then I coloured them in using Pathfinder. I then added a dot in-between them and coloured it the same way that I had done with the jelly beans. Then I had  copied the image a few times, changed them into different shades of green and red and changed the size of each of the pictures.

Here is the first batch of pictures, pre patterned.

I had later added in a fourth copy of the same picture and once again, I would shrink it down to make it smaller and then I would change the shades of colour, then I would rotate the pictures and move them around.

I then added a few more copied images, rotate them, and then I decided to use a different colour to mix it all up so that I don't keep using green too much, (and red and peach for the dots, but that is a minor point.)even though it is one of my favorite colors. So I had decided to use yellow for two of the pictures on display (with the dots  now being a lighter shade of orange).
So once I had settled with the results, I had then decided to draw an outline that looked a bit like a cartoon smiley face. Then I duplicated the image, rotated it and the pre patterned picture wound up looking a little bit like a sushi burger, or at least something remotely resembling a burger in some form or shape.
Now, I had to get going with my pattern, so I clicked Object >Pattern>Make and then I had made a lot of adjustments by moving around the sushi bean balls, moving the strokes to make them end looking like either a tiny twig or simply a bird's beak, added two more sushi balls, put them into the "bird's mouth", move around the sushi balls a bit more, finish the pattern by clicking "Done" on the top left corner and now it had become a brand new pattern. Here is a demonstration of how it looks.
In my opinion, it now looks like a flock of multi-eyed sushi birds trying to eat some oddly coloured sushi balls. I have to say it turned out to be impressive for an illustrated pattern, it's actually not really that bad if I do say so myself.

I hope you all enjoyed reading this post, I will see you later when I have published some of my blogs that I need to finish. Okay bye!!!

1 comment: