Thursday 5 December 2013

Tonal Self Portrait

Hello everyone! Today I will  tell you all about how I created a tonal self portrait, in the style of a lino print by using Photoshop, I will be brief about the details, but I will explain as much as I can, so here it goes.
It all started when I was tasked by my tutor to go on one of the Mac computers, go on my account and get to work. Before I could work with Photoshop, I had to take a picture of myself using Photo Booth. I never used Photo Booth very often, but overall it was fun taking silly pictures of myself before picking one that I wanted to work with. I saved this image into one of my college files so that I could keep it.
I then had to download this photograph onto Photoshop. I had to click on Image, Mode and Greyscale to turn this picture from full colour to being completely monochrome. I also had to save the image into another one of my files to keep it without affecting the original picture.
  Afterwards, I had to open"Layer", double click background to unlock the layer, and then I used the magic wand tool to get rid of the background in the picture. To make things quicker I felt like using the eraser tool, because I had found it much easier to utilise than clicking on some of the pixels in that make up the picture. Afterwards, I had to save this picture as another separate file, while also attempting to keep the original picture unedited. 
 Later on, I opened up some more layers to select the tones in my picture. I had filled in the shadows in black, then I filled in the mid-tones to 50% black and the highlights 20% black.
I then to fill in the other tones in the picture to have it completed, right before I had it saved again into another one of my files. I may have had some help from my tutor to progress with this tonal piece, but I at least managed to get the job done ready for it to print out, so that I could have stuck into my book. It was a lot of hard work, but I am glad to have finished this picture in no time at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment